Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Can Talk

No - seriously. I can talk. A lot. Probably - no - DEFINITELY too much at times. I can give an opinion on pretty much anything. That's probably a bad thing in some instances but for the purposes of this blog we'll just disregard that for now. That's the reason that this blog has finally been brought into the world to be honest. Sometimes I talk too damn much. And when I can't talk? I'll type. I Tweet – a lot. I update my Facebook status when I feel the need. Sometimes I just can't find a way to shorten what I want to say. Ever type what you thought was the perfect Twitter or Facebook update only to find out you exceeded the allowable characters? I'm THAT guy.
A friend of mine recently (as in this morning) told me that I could probably choose to argue a side of a story even if I knew it was completely wrong and somehow make people believe something about it is right. I realized I guess that's kind of true. Sometimes I argue things just for the sake of arguing them. Sometimes I really believe in what I'm arguing. Sometimes I just want to see if I can form an opinion that will get people riled up and in the process try to defend it. My blog will probably be a combination of all of these.
If you manage to stick around and read it on even a semi-consistent basis, please don't take me too seriously. Despite how it may seem, I don't even always take myself as seriously as I may come off. I'm a bit of a smart ass. Blame Andrew Kelson, Chris Ogbonnaya, Robert Killebrew and my other college teammates that sat at our Friday night and Saturday pre-game meal table. Hell, blame my whole team in general. If you didn't have thick skin or a quick one liner to fire back, you probably didn't make it long on our teams – especially if you happened to have a locker in the Suburbs (I'll explain in another blog one day).
The one thing I'm probably most "serious" about is my love of sports. They've always been a huge part of my life and I still marvel at what sports have done for me over the years. I formed great friendships, visited the White House, met the President, traveled to foreign countries, met influential people in the business world and even had my undergraduate education paid for - all because of sports.
Somehow everything always comes back to sports for me so that'll probably be what most of my blog entries are about – something sports related. Then again, I'm a pretty big nerd too. I like the latest and greatest electronics. I like to read. I even still play video games. But eventually I need to find a way to parlay all this sports mumbo jumbo into some cash because this 9-5 thing (really 6:30-6 - I consider when I wake up and get home as the start and end of my work days) is for the birds. So if any of you reading this feels like paying a brotha (or knows someone who might want to) at some point feel free to let me know. No - seriously. I won't be mad at you if you do.
Lots of people have opinions on what I should be doing. Some say I should be a lawyer. My brother was once convinced I should be an agent. Most close to me agree that I should, at the very least, do a blog. I finally gave in. My opinions will probably piss you off at times. I confess – I probably don't care. They're MY opinions. If you can't tell already I went to THE University of Texas. That alone will probably piss some of you off. Some thoughts will probably make you laugh because most of the time I'm just too stupid to get out of my own way and as a result, it might produce a funny here or there. It's all a work in progress so we'll see how it goes. So yeah - this should be interesting. Enjoy my Pointless Direction.
-M.G.M.

1 comment: