Friday, June 18, 2010

Somebody Tell Albert Haynesworth, We Want Our Money Back!

Playing devil’s advocate for a second: I understand Albert Haynesworth didn’t come to the Redskins under the same regime that is currently there. They went out and hired Mike Shanahan who has completely shaken things up and determined that he doesn’t want the same defense. So now Haynesworth is unhappy and doesn’t want to be in Washington. He wants to be traded. That part, I understand. Or at least I understand what I think he’s saying. I don’t agree with it but I think I understand. Haynesworth feels that he’s being forced to change positions without his permission. Cool. You don’t like that. More power to you. I’ve even seen some try to defend Haynesworth position by basically saying “he’d do what any of us would do” when negotiating any kind of deal in life.
I can’t say I agree though.

If I was Albert Haynesworth and I truly had ZERO intention of playing for the Washington Redskins again I wouldn’t accept the $21 million bonus he received on April 1st of this year. Let’s say that one more time. Matter of fact - let’s type it out so we common folk can see all the zeroes: $21,000,000. That’s how much money Haynesworth accepted as a roster bonus for being a member of the Washington Redskins. Haynesworth should’ve sat out and probably done the opposite of T.O. when he was protesting the Eagles. Instead of holding court in his driveway and doing pushups and stuff in front of the media, Haynesworth should’ve sat outside the Redskins facilities and invited the media to watch him eat ice cream or whatever kind of food Haynesworth enjoys.

But no. Good ole Al took that money and now he wants to run.  Too bad the Redskins are now coming for that $21 million. . I hope he didn’t spend it all in one place.

I think the true tragedy in all of this is that not only is he letting his teammates down (even though he doesn’t care to be their teammates anymore) but that he’s now creating two problems, one for himself and one for others.

I can’t see how any future teammate can trust him to be there when he’s already received a lucrative deal and bounced. I mean, how are you to rely on this guy when he’s been paid more than anyone else at the position (ever...in life...if I'm not mistaken) but ultimately even THAT was not good enough? Who is even a potential trade partner? I mean, what GM wants to deal with that headache?

Along the same lines, the second problem is that now, it’s going to be tough for a defensive tackle in the future to get similar deals. I follow Darnell Dockett on Twitter and from what I've seen of him in interviews and NFL films behind the scenes stuff, I like him as a player and a person a lot. He seems like a guy that brings his lunch pail to work every day. What I would hate is that when it comes time for his payday, a GM has to think in the back of his mind “well I wonder if Dockett might pull a Haynesworth on me. Better be careful with how much we give him.”

I know it’s not Haynesworth’s job to figure out that kind of stuff. But it is his job to do what he’s paid to do and that’s play the game of FOOTBALL. If he doesn’t agree with what he’s being asked to do then he shouldn’t have taken the money.

So in my best Houston rapper voice (was it Slim Thug or ESG?): “Somebody Tell Albert Haynesworth, We Want Our Money Back!”

-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment