Wednesday, June 30, 2010

G.O.A.T.???

Greatest Of All Time.

G.O.A.T.

It’s often thrown around and to me there is no competition. There is only one G.O.A.T. when it comes to basketball and that is Michael Jordan. MJ.  23.  Whichever you prefer.  We all know (or should know) what he did so for me it’s not really worth even beginning to detail. But then you have the constant debates of who can possibly challenge MJ for the title. Some will say Kobe. I disagree and for the purposes of this entry I’ll stay away from why.

What got me thinking about the title for this entry was a quick comment my boy David made to me via Twitter regarding the rumors of Lebron and Chris Bosh to Miami to join D Wade: “…nothing confirmed...but if it happens...LEBRON can never be considered the best...in my opinion.” I got to thinking about that statement and as big of a Lebron fan as I am, I can’t help but agree. Let me shed some light on that statement: I’m from Austin, TX. The pro team in Austin is the Texas Longhorns so I’ve never had true affiliations. Basically I’ve just always enjoyed good sports and to a further extent, I’m a bigger fan of players than I am teams. So as a result, whenever the Lebron hype started in high school, I started to follow him and have become a big fan.  So back to the topic at hand…  For me, no matter what Lebron were to do going forward it would be hard for me to even consider him as a candidate for the G.O.A.T. title because he’d be going to a team with other superstars for the sole purpose of winning a championship.  Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to win a championship.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

This is about his legacy more than anything. For me to consider you as the G.O.A.T.-to-be I need to see the ability to bring a team from the ashes and turn them into a champion. A true powerhouse. I always thought Lebron was on the right track in doing that in Cleveland and secretly hoped he’d just stay there and get a piece here and there and develop them into a champ. Instead it seems as if the dollars and the need for a championship right now is driving him. I can’t say I blame him necessarily but I do think it makes his legacy take a hit if he does what most think he'll do.

As a friend pointed out when I raised the “issue” in a recent Facebook status: “If Lebron, Bosh and Wade all end up on the same team, they are only two players short of an Olympic squad.” It seems like it’d just be too easy to go that route. I want the person that is coming for MJ's title to grind it out. Whether that’s fair or not, I can’t say. I’m only speaking from what I personally want to see. I may never see it because these days anyone with enough money and cap space can pretty much go out and buy championships in the NBA. Ask the Lakers and Celtics in recent years.

So if Lebron reads this somewhere (yea right), go for the rings. Go for the money. I don’t blame you. But don’t expect to be considered the G.O.A.T.

Ever.

At least not in my eyes.

-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment