Friday, August 6, 2010

No Shag On My Head

I try to get in the barbershop at least once every two weeks. Well. Let me clarify.

Usually I go to the shop on Thursday nights or Friday afternoons. Let me give you a brief run down about me and barbers/barbershops I've only let a few people cut my hair in my lifetime: my dad (didn't really have a choice), Larry Dibbles (college teammate - when I was a broke college kid there was nothing like a free cut), Jett (my long time barber in Pflugerville) and Chico (my barber in Grand Prairie). I'm real particular about who cuts my hair and I'm very much a creature of habit. When I first moved to Grand Prairie, I didn't get my haircut for almost a month because I wasn't comfortable with any of the barbers in the Dallas area. You won't catch me with a shag on my head. Yea - that picture below on the right - that's a shag worn by non other than OU-ex and Dallas representer Lendy Holmes. One of my old teammates Michael Huff (@Huffy247 on Twitter) has been known to rock one to this day. He plays for the Raiders now and if you ask him, he'll tell you he's "from the Crooked I" - you probably know that place as Irving, Texas.

 
I can't be THAT guy.  Nope.  I stick with the good ole taper fade.  At any rate, last night's trip to the barbershop was pretty uneventful.  I was able to pick up a couple of the latest DVDs that aren't supposed to be out yet (Kevin Hart's Seriously Funny and SALT).  That was the polite way of me saying I copped a couple bootlegs.  Chico was running a little behind today so I ended up sitting around for a good while before I got in the chair.  This too is a common theme in the black barbershops across America.
 
This trip's main topics of discussion were Shaq to the Celtics and how he makes them better (doesn't matter - as much as I hate to say it, the damn Lakers are going to 3-peat) and a conspiracy theory that the National Championship game between Texas and Alabama was fixed and that's why Colt McCoy couldn't return to the game.  Oh if you could have only been a fly on the wall for that discussion.  LOL.  I think I'm going to have to take my camera into the shop one day and do some videos....maybe that'll be what my shop blogs turn into.  We'll see.
 
At any rate, I'm fresh and clean again and people shouldn't mistake me for Wolverine anymore.  But you definitely won't find a shag on my head anytime soon. In fact - not neva!
 
-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment