Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Teleras Bread, Korean BBQ Tacos, City Meat Market, & H-Town

This past weekend was a pretty good one.  I woke up Friday morning and decided I wanted to snag my latest breakfast addiction.  There's this place called Fuzzy's Taco Shop off of Abram in Arlington that I like to eat breakfast and lunch from time to time.  For the longest I'd been wanting to try one of their breakfast sandwiches because its on this bread called Teleras bread.  Well let's just say the sandwich didn't let me down.  Bacon, eggs, cheese, jalapenos and cilantro on Teleras bread with a side of Latin fried potatoes.  Doesn't get much better than that.  Took it back to my office and grubbed
Fuzzy's Breakfast Sandwich
I managed to make it through my day and left work around 3pm.  I ran home and played a quick game in my Orangebloods Online Dynasty in NCAA 2011 and then packed a bag because I was heading to Austin for the weekend.  Initially I was just going to ride down to Austin with my best friend Torre.  He wanted to go out and watch some DJ's mix in Austin because he's trying to get in DJing.  I ended up decided I'd just go ahead and drive myself because I needed to be able to get around and do a few things while I was back home.

Torre met me over at the crib around 6pm and as we got ready to hit the road I couldn't find my wallet.  I looked everywhere and it was nowhere to be found.  Where was the last place I saw it?  Fuzzy's.  I called the shop and they said they didn't have it.  I checked online and didn't have any new charges so I'd resolved that maybe I'd just left it in my office.  Luckily I had my CHL and a credit card so I decided I'd just go ahead and hit the road.

Once we got to Austin we chilled for a little bit before hitting the town.  I had to borrow some cash from my mom because where is my wallet?  Somewhere in Dallas.  Another really good friend, Aleise, decided she'd roll with us so we went to this spot downtown called Karma Lounge.  We've been going there for years now and are friends with owner so we always have a good time.  The scene has really changed in the last two years though and unfortunately not for the better.  All the same, my boy Donte was DJing that night so at least we knew the music would be legit.  At the end of the night when the clubs let out I wanted Torre and Aleise to try this spot I discovered with my boy Kevin last time I was in Austin.  Almost like it's straight out of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives was one of those truck stands.  This one was different than any other I've had: Korean BBQ Tacos.
Korean BBQ Tacos
 Now usually I'm pretty skeptical of something like this but as you can see from the line, it's pretty popular. We each had one beef and one chicken taco and I also had something they call Kimchi Fries that had some kind of spicy cabbage type relish and chicken on it.  Out of this world.  My poor camera phone image doesn't do it any justice.  All in all we had a successful night.
Kimchi Fries
 The next morning came way to fast.  My dad is a morning person.  I'm not.  Ever since I was little my dad has always felt as if everyone should be awake when he is so he made it a point to be extra loud and wake me up.  This particular morning was a little bit different though.  My brother and I had been wanting to get my dad a new barbecue pit for a LONG time.  He really needed it because he loves to barbecue and well...this is what his old one looked like:

My brother found some guys in Houston that would make a pit the way my dad wanted it and do us a solid on the deal since it was a friend of a friend kind of thing so we made a family road trip out of it.  My dad, mom, brother and I piled into my truck and decided to hit the road to H-Town but not without first stopping at City Meat Market in Giddings along the way.  If you ever are near try their Boston Butt.  No pun intended.  We grubbed.
City Meat Market - Giddings, TX
The Menu
My brother ready to grub
Before
After
After we were good and full we were back on the road.  Had to make a quick pit stop at my favorite "store" - Buc-ee's.  I say "store" because it's a gas station, deli, sandwich shop, craft store and outdoors store all wrapped in one.  If you ever see one, stop.  You will not be disappointed.
Buc-ee's
 We got back on the road and finally made it to Houston.  We went straight to the place to pick up my dad's BBQ pit and the second we turned in there my dad started grinning from ear to ear.  His pit turned out to be a flat out beast.  The guys who made it were real cool and reminded me of just some good ole country boys from back in East Texas where my mom's side of our family is from.  We talked to the guys for a little while and finally hooked the pit up to my truck and made our way back to Austin.

My dad (left), folks who made the pit and my brother (middle)
Hooked up to my truck and ready to roll
Back in Austin getting it into the backyard was fun
 My dad through some meat on there for a test run and it turned out pretty damn good.  I'm just glad we cook put a big smile on my dad's face.  He's the hardest working person I know and rarely let's us do anything major for him so to allow him to be able to enjoy barbecuing the right way is priceless.  

I loaded up and hit the road back to Dallas so I could get home in time for the Cowboys/Bengals preseason game.  I'm not even a Cowboys fan but it was live football that I've been without for 6 months so I wasn't about to miss it.

All in all in was a very productive and personally rewarding weekend.  Teleras Bread, Korean BBQ Tacos, City Meat Market, H-Town.  Not bad at all.

-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment