Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Philly Steaks

I meant to do a weekend wrap up but never got around to it since I had a midterm in my management class last night.

All the same, this is where I kicked off this past weekend:


For anyone in the Mansfield/Grand Prairie/Arlington area Donnie's is located at 8020 Matlock Rd. in Arlington, TX. On this particular day I made the trip with my boy Doc Patton. The second you walk in the door you'll hear "Hey! Love you!" I'll admit, this caught me off guard at first but I'm used to it now. It's just Donnie's way of greating you. She does it ALL by herself. No help whatsoever. She doesn't write anything down. You place your order and she goes to cooking and tells you to "pay me later" (as in after you eat). She's originally from Philadelphia and while I've never been there, I've concluded this Philly Steak has to be just as good as anything I can find in Philly. From what I've been told, many people from Philly often frequent this place to get their taste of home. I'm going to bring my boy Steve here one day and get his take.

Quick peak at the menu:




My version sports mustard instead of mayo, no tomatoes, grilled onions, peppers and jalapenos, cheese (provolone...not the Cheese Whiz variety) and some special sauce she throws on them as well. She also does fries with salt and vinegar (or sweet potato fries if you prefer). At any rate, mine didn't last long:



She also makes tons of different desserts from scratch including all kinds of cheesecakes (my favorite is the sweet potato cheesecake...it didn't last long enough for me to snap any pics), bananna pudding and even gets Tastykakes flown in from Philadelphia. My mom loves the butterscotch ones so I always buy her some when I can.

Give Donnie's Hot Dog Shop & Philly Steak a try if you're in the area. I don't think you'll be sorry.

-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment