Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Recap: Austin

To Austin I went. I had no real plans set in stone...just wanted to see some family and friends I hadn't seen in a while.

Friday night I went to Pappadeaux with my mom and some friends. I polished off a couple Hurricanes along with some fried alligator (tastes like spicy chicken if you've never had it) and one of my favorite meals there, the Crawfish Trio. It's not on the menu but its basically fried crawfish, crawfish etoufee and sauteed crawfish. We sat up and drank and laughed about random stuff and it was just an overall good time.

After dinner, my boy Kevin and I went out. This was the first time I'd actually been to 6th Street in a LONG time so I was curious to see how it would go. It was good to catch up with Kevin and chop it up. Our schedules are so hectic that between our jobs and me living in Grand Prairie now (and most of my friends still living in Austin or Houston), I don't get to see everyone as often as I'd like to. That all being said, 6th Street is NOTHING like it was when we were in college. Sure there's plenty of bars to still hop to and from but they just aren't of the same quality. I remember going to Daiquiri Factory, Amazon, The Drink (ahhhhh The Drink) and Colorado Room (which became Zero Degrees which has now turned into God knows what). There just aren't any real go-to spots these days. I actually prefer the Warehouse District anyways as of late. All the same, we had a good time and bumped into a couple of my college teammates that were in town so that's always a plus.

I'd heard good reviews about VY's restaurant and my mom kept asking about it so we decided to check it out. A friend hooked us up with reservations in the Perfect 10 room (thanks Bita) so my folks, my Auntie Donna and my grandpa (we call him Paw Paw) were all able to enjoy a nice evening at Vince Young Steakhouse. I plan on bringing my brother back here during Texas Relays (he had to work and couldn't come with us this time around). It's really great to see my teammates step out into other endeavours so I always try to support them whenever I can.

We were seated right away and Paw Paw and I decided on having a few inVINCEables (Patron Silver, Patron Citrouge, agave nector,
fresh lime and citrus salt rim).


My mom and Auntie Donna settled on Burnt Orange-Tinis (Savvy vodka, pomegranate liqueur, fresh orange and candied orange garnish). My pops settled on some H20 on the rocks.

We all shared some lamb chops and calimari for an appetizer while trying to figure out what we'd eat as a meal. My mom went with the 12 oz Filet Mignon and Auntie Donna went with a Grilled Caesar Salad (she added chicken to it). Paw Paw went with the 16 oz Prime Rib Eye Steak and my pops and I went with the 22 oz Prime Bone In Rib Eye Steaks. I topped mine with blue cheese crumbles.


We ordered a bunch of sides so we could all have some: Bacon Mac and Cheese, Brocolli and Cheese and Spinach Two Ways (Sauteed and Creamed). We left just enough room to share some Chocolate Cake and Crème Brulee before we called it a night. All in all it was a great evening and we really enjoyed the meal. Real relaxed atmoshphere and great service.

Sunday I just lounged around a bit. For whatever reason losing that hour when we spring forward each year always seems to take a toll on me. Watched some TV and went to my Auntie Donna's house for a bit before heading back home to Grand Prairie. I got home just in time to watch the Fab 5 documentary on ESPN. I remembered watching them in the early 90s like it was yesterday. This was actually the first time I ever saw that Chris Webber was actually encouraged to call a timeout by people from his own bench. I became an even bigger fan of Jalen Rose too. I'm not going to go too in depth with my Jalen Rose commentary just yet because I want to do a blog about some comments he made (and some of the reaction received) tomorrow. It was a great documentary but at the end of the day I still think the 30 for 30 documentaries about The U and The Two Escobars were better.

Pretty good weekend if I do say so myself. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

-M.G.M.

1 comment: