Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekend Recap: March Madness + T&F + Huntsville

I'll start out with this bit of foolishness:


That was me at the pump to fill up my truck a few days ago. Seriously considering a Prius or a Ford Fiesta. Yall think I'm playing. Look up one day and you might see my big ass on a skateboard. And they say prices are supposed to get worse this summer. SMH.

Anyways. On a weekend where the music world has descended upon my hometown of Austin, TX for SXSW I decided to play it a little bit different. That being said, I think I'm going to plan to attend the whole sha-bang next year.

March Madness is in full swing and I took some early hits to my bracket but my Horns managed to pull it out on Friday against Oakland so that's all that really matters. For the record, I picked UNC, Texas, Kansas and Pitt to make it to the Final Four with Texas taking it all in one bracket and UNC, Duke (with the news that Kyrie Irving was playing), Kansas and Pitt to make it to the Final Four with Kansas taking it all in another bracket.

Back to Texas. I wish we had one more solid big man to go along with Tristan. Gary Johnson is a junkyard dog but I'm talking about having a true power forward that can get down low and bang and help out more on the offensive and defensive end. I know Wangmene and Matt Hill try real hard but they just aren't enough IMO. I watched most of the game online while doing some paperwork in my office at work and decided to jet home at halftime so I could catch the rest of the game.

On the way home, I saw my local sno cone spot finally decided it was time to open up since our temperatures have crept back into the 80s now and I couldn't resist. My favorite concoction: Peach daiquiri, Strawberry daiquiri, Pineapple and Cream in the middle and on top (***pause***). Shout out to Lauren for picking up the tab on my next one of these in Austin in a few weeks.


Made it home in time to catch the 2nd half of the game and fortunately we pulled it out. Now I hear all these reports that Tristan and Jordan Hamilton have said they are coming back next year. Quick: name the last player that has ever been asked if they are coming back DURING the tourney, while they have yet to be eliminated and responded, "No. I'm taking my talents to the NBA." Don't worry. I'll wait. For the record, I think Tristan comes back and Jordan goes pro. If we get them both back along with Myck Kabongo (who's coming in next year) WATCH OUT!

I made the quick drive out to Fort Worth to check out some friends who were competing in the TCU Invitational. I watched Jeremy Wariner and Sanya Richards-Ross run the 200m. Both won their respective races as their season openers and most importantly for any athlete, came away healthy. It was good to see my boys A Ross (Aaron Ross of the New York Giants/Sanya's husband), Darold Williamson and even Big Bruce (Bruce Johnson - one of my strength coaches at Texas - now has his own private gym and does Sanya's strength training as well as a lot of the NFL guys from Texas during the off season) taking in the events as well. Doc and Pink (Crystal Patton, Doc's wife/my neighbor but we all call her Pink) were at the meet also so afterwards we went to Red Hot & Blue BBQ down the street from the track facilities. It was an ok meal but they had some really good sauces. One was called Hard Luck Vinegar Sauce so I bought a bottle to take back home with me.

By the time I finally got home it was already 6ish so I grabbed a quick shower, threw a bag together and decided to shoot down to Huntsville to hang out with my brother Matt for the weekend. He goes to school at Sam Houston State University so I thought it'd be cool to spend a little time with him in his element. My parents also came to visit him so it turned out to be a full on family weekend. I got in late so I just went by his crib for a little bit to watch some tv before crashing for the night.

Saturday morning we got up, ate a little breakfast and lounged around until about noon or so. I've been hearing Matt rant and rave about some place called the Potato Shack so he took us there and it didn't let me down. My brother, mom and I all got Spicy CCRs: baked potato with fried chicken, bacon, cheese and hot sauce. My brother's girlfriend Jasmine had a spud loaded with chicken fried steak. All in all, the place was a real cool college joint that I could see myself frequenting quite a bit if I had one near me.

The itis set in pretty strong so we went back to my brother's apartment and I crashed hard for like 3 hours. By the time I woke up, everyone was ready to eat again. LOL. This time, we decided we'd try the famous Church BBQ. If you're thinking that sounds like BBQ at a church, you're correct. Basically, they took what looked to be their fellowship hall and turned it into a full fledged BBQ spot.




We chowed down on some brisket, sausage, chicken, beans and potato salad. They had some sweet tea that was pretty amazing also. It's worth the trip but I'm still convinced my pops could open up a BBQ stand and do some serious damage. Ask anyone that's ever been blessed to have some of his food and see if I'm lying.

Our platter:


My plate:


Went back to Matt's crib to chill out some more and pretty much watched TV the rest of the night. I caught one of my all-time favorite movies, Tombstone, on TV and watched it with my pops. Favorite line: "I'm your Huckleberry." That boy Doc Holliday did NOT play.

Sunday morning I got up, ate some breakfast and lounged around a bit before making the drive back to Grand Prairie.

I went straight to Doc and Pink's house for dinner (Pink was making her famous smothered pork chops) and to watch the Texas/Arizona basketball game. By now you know the outcome - we lost in the final seconds. I said this on Twitter as soon as it happened but I really don't care that the 5 second call was really 4 seconds. I'm still pissed that we snagged a defensive rebound with under 15 seconds left, Arizona had no timeouts and we call a timeout instead of letting the clock run out. That being said, the refs really screwed up on this one. It's been a rough tourney for officials all around. Oh well. Between Texas and Pitt losing, all my brackets are shot to hell. After the game and me randomly screaming out a few expletives in my frustration, we watched some TV (I'm hooked all the sudden on this show Shark Tank) before finally heading home and calling it a night.

Another solid weekend in the books.

-M.G.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment